Undermount rangehoods offer a sleek and discreet solution for kitchens, providing effective extraction without interrupting the visual flow of your kitchen design. When selecting the right undermount rangehood for your kitchen, the brand and features are important factors. Here are some popular brands of under-mount rangehoods:
- Artusi: An Italian brand known for its quality construction and efficient extraction performance.
- Technika: An Australian brand that offers powerful extraction and modern designs.
- Westinghouse: A trusted brand that combines functionality with style.
- Ilve: An internationally recognized brand known for high-quality construction and stylish designs.
- Electrolux: A reputable brand offering sleek designs and efficient extraction.
- Smeg: An Italian brand renowned for its stylish undermount rangehoods and excellent extraction performance.
When selecting an undermount rangehood, consider the following factors:
Choose an undermount rangehood size that matches your cooktop's or stovetop's width. Common sizes include 600mm and 900mm to provide adequate coverage.
Consider the extraction power of the undermount rangehood, measured in cubic meters per hour (m³/h). Higher extraction power ensures effective removal of cooking odors, smoke, and airborne grease from your kitchen.
Check the noise levels of the undermount rangehood, typically measured in decibels (dB). Look for models with lower noise levels for a quieter cooking experience.
What are the benefits of an undermount rangehood?
Undermount rangehoods offer several benefits, including efficient extraction of cooking odours, smoke, and airborne grease, improved air quality, space-saving design, and seamless integration into your kitchen cabinetry.
How does an undermount rangehood work?
Undermount rangehoods are installed beneath overhead cabinetry, ensuring a discreet and streamlined appearance. They work by drawing in the air from the cooking area through filters, expelling it outside, or recirculating it back into the kitchen after passing through additional filters.
Can I install an undermount rangehood myself?
It is recommended to have a licensed professional install an undermount rangehood to ensure proper installation, compliance with local building codes, and safe operation. Professional installation will also ensure the rangehood is correctly vented and secured.
How do I clean and maintain an undermount rangehood?
To clean and maintain an undermount rangehood, follow these steps:
- Regularly clean or replace the rangehood filters according to the manufacturer's instructions to ensure optimal performance.
- Wipe down the exterior surfaces of the rangehood with a damp cloth and mild detergent to remove any grease or dirt buildup.
- Clean the grease trap and other removable parts using warm soapy water or a non-abrasive cleaner.
- Ensure that the ventilation ducting is clear of any obstructions or buildup, and inspect it periodically for any signs of damage.
Can I install an undermount rangehood without ducting?
Undermount rangehoods are designed to be vented outside the house for optimal extraction performance. However, some models may offer the option of recirculating the air back into the kitchen using carbon filters. Venturing the rangehood outside whenever possible is recommended for better odour and grease removal.
What are the energy requirements for an undermount rangehood?
Undermount rangehoods are typically powered by electricity. The energy consumption of a rangehood varies depending on its extraction power and usage. It's important to check the energy efficiency rating of the rangehood to ensure it aligns with your energy-saving goals.
Can I adjust the extraction speed of an undermount rangehood?
Yes, most undermount rangehoods come with multiple extraction speed settings, allowing you to adjust the extraction power based on your cooking needs. Higher extraction speeds suit more intense cooking, while lower speeds can be used for lighter cooking tasks.