Rangehoods play a vital role in maintaining a clean and smoke-free kitchen by removing cooking odours, grease, and smoke. When choosing the right rangehood for your kitchen, factors such as brand, size, and colour are important considerations. Here are some popular brands of rangehoods available in various sizes and colours:
- Artusi: An Italian brand known for its quality construction and efficient extraction capabilities.
- Technika: An Australian brand that offers powerful extraction performance and modern designs.
- Westinghouse: A trusted brand that combines functionality with style.
- Ilve: An internationally recognized brand known for high-quality construction and stylish designs.
- Electrolux: A reputable brand offering sleek designs and efficient extraction.
- Smeg: An Italian brand renowned for its stylish rangehoods and excellent extraction performance.
When selecting a rangehood, consider the following factors:
The size of the rangehood should be compatible with the size of your cooktop and your kitchen layout. Common sizes include 600mm, 900mm, and 1200mm. Choose a size that effectively covers your cooktop and provides adequate extraction capacity.
Rangehoods come in a variety of colors to match your kitchen decor. Stainless steel is a popular choice for its modern and versatile look. Black and white rangehoods offer a sleek and contemporary aesthetic, allowing you to coordinate with other kitchen appliances and finishes.
What type of rangehood should I choose for my kitchen?
Your choice of rangehood depends on your kitchen layout and personal preferences. Common types include canopy rangehoods, under-mount rangehoods, and slide-out rangehoods. Consider the available space, installation requirements, and the extraction capacity needed for your cooking habits.
How do rangehoods work?
Rangehoods extract airborne grease, odours, and smoke produced during cooking. They do this by drawing in the air through filters that trap grease particles and then expelling the filtered air outside or recirculating it back into the kitchen after passing it through additional filters to remove odours. The extracted air is typically vented through ducting to the outside of the house.
What are the benefits of a range hood?
Rangehoods offer several benefits, including:
- Efficient removal of cooking odours, smoke, and airborne grease, ensuring a fresh and clean kitchen environment.
- Improved air quality by reducing the buildup of cooking-related pollutants.
- Prevention of grease buildup on kitchen surfaces, cabinets, and walls.
- Enhanced safety by removing smoke and steam, minimizing fire hazard risk and improving cooking visibility.
How do I clean and maintain a rangehood?
To clean and maintain a rangehood, follow these steps:
- Regularly clean or replace the rangehood filters according to the manufacturer's instructions to ensure optimal performance.
- Wipe the exterior surfaces with a damp cloth or sponge using a mild detergent or kitchen cleaner.
- Clean the grease trap and other removable parts using warm soapy water or a non-abrasive cleaner.
- Ensure that the ducting is clear of any obstructions or buildup, and inspect it periodically for any signs of damage.
Can I install a rangehood myself?
It is recommended to have a licensed professional install a rangehood to ensure proper installation, compliance with local building codes, and safe operation. Professional installation will also help to correctly vent the rangehood to the outside of the house, ensuring effective extraction of airborne contaminants.
By considering these factors and exploring reputable brands, you can select a range that suits your kitchen size, style, and extraction needs, making your cooking experience more enjoyable and maintaining a clean and fresh kitchen environment.